Yep, I did this too when I was first starting out.
Something you put into mysql.user is syntactically incorrect.
The server does a sanity check on it's permissions, and if they are screwy,
kills itself to save your data. (very big of it, yes?)

The quickest way out of this mess is to delete the mysql database directory
(rm -Rf /usr/local/mysql/var/mysql) which gets rid of all grant tables, then
run /usr/bin/mysql_install_db to put fresh tables in.

You can't use mysql_fix_privilege_tables, because you can't start the
server.

Then, once you have done that, ONLY use the GRANT option until you really
really really really really understand how the grant tables work together.