On Aug 12, 2004, at 2:38, Issac Goldstand wrote:
What if a company hires me to build an application for them. They already
have MySQL downloaded and installed. Do I/they need a license?
What if the software is open-source, but not free?

Hi Issac,

We always recommend that proprietary applications that use MySQL use the proprietary version of MySQL. This recommendation helps us fund development of the database and is always accurate.

However, if you are working for a company, you are likely not distributing anything to them and can likely use MySQL under the terms of the GPL - it should not matter if they download and install MySQL before or after the work starts.

Also, there is no problem selling software that is based on GPL-licensed MySQL and other GPL-licensed software (or some other Free Software*/Open Source** licenses. See http://www.mysql.com/products/licensing/foss-exception.html for a list of licenses that are accepted in addition to the GPL.)

* See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html for more information
** See http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php for more information

Cheers!
--