i usually do

$link = mysql_connect($server, $userid, $password);

and it works, except when the pw is incorrect....

suomi

leegold wrote:

I can connect in the php by using 'root' and the root pw. But when I tried adding a user ( sarah ) with GRANT I cannot connect from php. The php is simple, what am I overlooking? Again putting the root user name and pw it'll work in php but not for sarah:

the php....
mysql_pconnect("localhost","sarah","camera")
    or die("ERROR: Could not connect to database!");
mysql_select_db("howto");

*But* on the command line the sarah user works OK:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>mysql -u sarah -p
Enter password: ******
Your MySQL connection id is 19 to server version: 4.1.3a-beta-nt-max

mysql> select * from howto.page;
+---------+-----------------------------+
| page_id | page_url                    |
+---------+-----------------------------+
|       1 | http://www.lg.netfarms.org  |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> show grants for [EMAIL PROTECTED];
| Grants for [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
| GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'sarah'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD '*6043233C67ADBE7E9242089D718763C3C5E1A1E2' |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)