What error are you getting? My problem when moving to 4.1 was forgetting that I was using an older MySQL client.

I'm not positive, but I think that in order to connect to MySQL 4.1 with PHP you need to use the mysqli functions, not mysql, and mysqli requires PHP 5.

If you want to keep using MySQL 4.1 with PHP 4, then try changing your user's password with the OLD_PASSWORD() function.
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Encryption_functions.html

Wes