Andrew Pattison wrote:

I'm guessing that you have indexes on the 321st_stat table? If this is the case, try dropping them before you do the insert, then rebuilding them. MySQL is known to be slow at doing bulk inserts on indexed tables. Also, updates are much faster than inserts since with inserts there are much more disk IOs required.

Cheers

Table has a large primary key, to keep duplicates out, so I cant drop the index and remove.

Also, reindexing the table takes all day, dropping is not an option

Would I be better off doing an insert replace on all 17m new records, or only inserting the 500 new records using insert ignore ?