Matt:

You would be very well served to give the table a unique physical key.
Alternate or primary, you could then join to this single column.  I am not
sure how big the table to get, however, so you will definitely want to use a
bigint unsigned if you plan to test this theory.

Benefits:
-  You can remove the 6 to 8 columns of the PK in the table you are writing
to and replace it with a small integer column.  Over 17m inserts and
comparisons you can imagine the savings in disk IO.
-  Easier for the optimizer to choose the correct index.
-  More likely to get reads straight from the index.
-  Easier code to write/read/maintain

Also, piling the records to be inserted into a temporary table can be much
quicker.  This is my experience with tables of 2 to 3 million rows.  B/c
this operation may still be long I do not recommend the use of a temporary
table, but rather a regular table that you create and destroy as part of the
process.

Are you using MyIsam or InnoDB?  If MyIsam, then if you are scheduling the
insert as delayed and the table is still being read from, you may be
experiencing an issue where there are enough reads to keep the insert from
getting started.

Also if MyIsam, is your row pointer large enough?  If not this will slow you
down too.

Have the tables been analyzed and checked lately?

Really, there are a number of server parameters to check.  Setting this will
be very unique to your situation.  Oracle is the same way, esp when
clustering.   Seems to me that spending $1500 or so on some MySQL consulting
would be much less expensive than an Oracle license, plus the cost of
porting, plus the consulting it would take to get your Oracle server tuned
for your app.

Best Regards,
Boyd E. Hemphill
MySQL Certified Professional