On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 11:40:34 -0400, Sun, Jennifer
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a job that do 'select * from big-table' on a staging mysql database, then
> dump to data warehouse, it is scheduled to run once a day, but may be run manually.
> Also we have several other small OLTP database on the same server.
> When the big job run, it would use all the physical mem and swap, all other process
> slow down because of this.
>
> I would like to limit the resource usage for each mysql client  so that they can use
> only certain max amount of RAM, and don't select everything into memory before
> display it to users. However, I couldn't find any parameter would let me implement
> it.
> Anybody ever encounter the same issue before? Please share your experience.

How exactly are you running this "select * from big-table"?  From the
"mysql" command line client?  Is that what is using memory?  It isn't
clear from your post if it is the server or something else using
memory.

If it is the mysql command line client that is the issue, try adding a
"-q" parameter.  If you are using myisam tables, however, keep in mind
that table will be effectively locked for the whole duration... but if
it is the mysql command line client (which defaults to buffering
everything in memory), it may be faster to use -q anyway.