David-
Think of A join consists of one circle of records per table
An INNER JOIN only gets the results that are in common between 2 tables or
all the rows
(where the circles intersect)
i.e.
In an Inner Join both columns of Both Tables MUST have Non Null identical
values and Must be =
An OUTER JOIN gets all of the records from all tables of the join condition
(all records from all circles)
In a LEFT JOIN
If there is no matching record for the right table in the ON or USING part
in a LEFT JOIN, a row with all columns set to NULL is used for the right
table
The way I remember is LEFT JOIN=RIGHT NULL
(all records from Left Table Circle and Intersection area of all circles)

In a RIGHT JOIN
If there is no matching record for the left table in the ON or USING part of
a RIGHT JOIN, a row is set to NULL for the record from the left table
The way I remember is RIGHT JOIN=LEFT NULL
(all records from Right Table Circle and Intersection area of all circles)

>From David's Posts it sounds like the resultset returned is too restrictive
Time to consider Outer, Left or Right Join-
Cheers,
Martin-