On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 15:47:26 -0400,  wrote:

>A. Any record in tbl_development can be associated with up to 8 URLs that
>represent virtual tours of the dwelling types in that particular
>development.
>B. tbl_urldetails is a table acting as a "master list" of the virtual
>tours you have ready to use. The records in tbl_development should
>reference these URLs.
>
>This is what we call a many-to-many relationship and is commonly modeled
>in a relational database with a 3-table structure. It is a many-to-many
>because:
>        1) Each development can associate itself to several (up to 8, you
>say) URLs
>        2) Each URL can be associated with any of several (or none)
>developments.
>
>You already have two of the tables you need, what you are missing is the
>"association" or "relationship" table. It is usually just a two column
>table but more columns can be added if you need to store information about
>the "combination" of a development to a virtual tour URL. I will make up a
>column that fits that last category and explain why it fits on this third
>table.  Here is what your association table could look like:
>
>CREATE TABLE development_URL (
>        tbl_development_intDevID mediumint(9) not null,
>        tbl_urldetails_intID int(11) not null,
>        dateAvailable datetime null,
>        PRIMARY KEY(tbl_development_intDevID, tbl_urldetails_intID)
>)
>

>INSERT development_URL VALUES(50,7,'2004-11-01');
>
>Let's say that property 50 also needs to show the URLs for tours 1,2, and
>4 right now.
>
>INSERT development_URL VALUES (50,1,null), (50,2,null), (50,4,null)

Shawn,
I wrote this query using your relation table.

select t1.tbl_development_intdevid,r1.* from development_url as t1
inner join tbl_urldetails as r1 on r1.intid = t1.tbl_urldetails_intid
where tbl_development_intdevid='50';

Thanks very much for your help, I still struggle to think "database", but my
understanding will now
(hopefully) leapfrog. It's always a struggle when you are at such a low level of your
learning curve
that you cannot easily formulate your pleas for help!!

zzapper (vim, cygwin, wiki & zsh)
--

vim -c ":%s%s*%CyrnfrTfcbafbeROenzSZbbyranne%|:%s)[R-T]) )Ig|:norm G1VGg?"

http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=305  Best of Vim Tips