> Hi
>

> I have installed some software on aix5.2 .
> the list of software:
> apache-1.3.29-1.aix4.3.ppc.rpm
> php-4.0.6-5.aix4.3.ppc.rpm
> MySQL-3.23.47-3.aix4.3.ppc.rpm
> MySQL-client-3.23.47-3.aix4.3.ppc.rpm
>
> All of them was installed  by using the command : rpm -i *.*
> then
>
> Apache and php can work
> but mysql  can't run
> when I used the command "safe_mysqld start" the system told me "
> Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
> 040913 19:08:45 mysqld ended"
> when I used the command "mysql" the system told me
> "
> ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)"

> help me please
>
> thanks a lot
> Yours
>                LiRui
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>           2004-09-14

Sounds like a permissions problem. Make sure the data directory is owned by
the user that mysqld runs under. Usually `chown -R mysql /var/lib/mysql`
will do the trick.

The error: "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)" is due to the fact that mysqld is not running when
you try to connect via the mysql client.

Jim Grill