Tons of caching options.. tried quite a few..

- squid/similar proxy..
- the image streaming/serving script stores the image in /tmp, if the
script next time
  sees the time file (perhaps using databaseid.img filename format) it
serves it from disk.. maybe checking the last changed timestamp or
something
- written a custom caching servlet to request the image from db once,
and then serve it from memory for a pre-determined cache time, at
which point it re-request/re-caches new object in memory..