Sorry, there were a few typos in my reply. I have amended the reply at the
bottom....

Rhino

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rhino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Paul DuBois" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>;
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2004 5:41 PM
Subject: Re: Multiple Insert Statement?

===========
AMENDED REPLY
===========

Most of what I said above is correct but the script had a mistake. (I
started editing the script on the fly to improve it but wasn't able to test
the amended version due to a temporary glitch on our server. I sent the note
anyway, assuming it was correct, and only discovered the error after the
server started working again.)

Here is the amended script; the error was in the primary key definition of
the 'source' table. I also added both of the alternate Insert/Select
statements; the '3rd Attempt' fails because the columns don't correspond.

--------------------------------
select 'Drop/Create source';
drop table if exists source;
create table if not exists source
(idno smallint not null,
 surname char(10) not null,
primary key(idno));

select 'Populate source';
insert into source (idno, surname) values
(1, 'Adams'),
(2, 'Bailey'),
(3, 'Collins');

select 'Display source';