I also share databases Linux to XP. It could be an uppercase/lowercase issue,
try adding to my.cnf:

lower_case_table_names=1

Lau Sennels wrote:

Hello.

I am trying to set up a MySQL database shared between SuSE 9.1 and a Win XP (both 4.0.18 from binary). The database resides on a FAT32 partiton accessible from both OS's.
I am able to access the database transparently from Win XP by modifying my.cfg as described in the manual.

The procedure does not work on Linux, unfortunately. After having modified /etc/my.cnf like this:
-------------
# The following options will be passed to all MySQL clients
[client]
#password = your_password
port = 3306
socket = /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

# Here follows entries for some specific programs

# The MySQL server
[mysqld]
port            = 3306
datadir         = /windows/E/data/
socket          = /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
--------

and copying the files from /var/lib/mysql to /windows/E/data/ I can access the database (as root in mysql) but not individual tables. The database was created in windows. I get the error:

mysql> describe ne_ns_ft;
ERROR 1017: Can't find file: 'ne_ns_ft.MYI' (errno: 2)

The file is there of course.
I can create new tables and access them normally. The new table-files have permissions identical to the "old" ones.
-rwxrwx--x 1 mysql users 8554 2004-10-20 17:41 test.frm
-rwxrwx--x 1 mysql users 0 2004-10-20 17:41 test.MYD
-rwxrwx--x 1 mysql users 1024 2004-10-20 17:41 test.MYI

If I copy the database directory to /var/lib/mysql (and change the my.cnf back) I have the same problem but with a new error:

mysql> use exp041012
Database changed
mysql> select * from ne_as_10;
ERROR 1017: Can't find file: './exp041012/ne_as_10.frm' (errno: 13)
The file is there of course.

I would appreciate input to solve the problem, or suggestions on alternative ways to achive the aim of accessing the same (or synchronized) data from Linux/Windows.

Regards,
Lau Sennels