Thanks for your reply.

> >[client]
> >#password       = your_password
> >port            = 3306
> >socket          = /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
>
> Your client needs to connect to the windows machine, not a local socket.

The files are on the local machine. This is not a server/client setup, but two
servers accessing the same database from deiiferent partitions (so /either/
the XP /or/ the linux mysql server is running).

> You can not have a Linux server using the files on the windows machine.
> The windows server is using them.

See above.

> The user 'mysql' does not have search privileges on the exp041012
> database directory,  or read privilages on
> the ne_as_10.frm f ile.

All searches outlined are done as [EMAIL PROTECTED] (as mysql login).
Even if I reassign schema privileges for the database uisng
mysql-administrator the outcome is the same.

Lau