We have an environment where we will have multiple mysql masters, and multiple slaves hanging off each master (the masters are actually slaves from another data store updated by a script).

The table we are replicating is about 6GB in size, so somewhat large. If one of the masters goes down, we want to repoint the slaves on that master to another one.

Problem is, it's possible the masters aren't in sync, so in the scenario:

Master A has Slave 1 and Slave 2
Master B has Slave 3 and Slave 4

Master A is ahead of Master B, and Master A goes down, we want to repoint Slave 3 and Slave 4 to Master B. Since the data is large, we don't want to do a fresh resync of Slave 3 and 4 from scratch. And A and B may not have been updated at the same time (or in same order), so their binary logs won't be in same order (so it's not as simple as saying go to the last position you were in when your Master died on your new master and continue from there).

Anyone had a similar situation and found a solution?

Thanks,
Sean