> Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 20:41:17 -0700
> From: Van <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> I might be partly responsible for this since MySQL didn't show up in the
> slackware distribution until I built one for the DEC Alpha.  It's running great
> on my Alpha at version 3.23.33 and I'm staying there until the 3.23.3x versions
> settled down.

The Slackware package itself works great for me.  I haven't been able to
compile MySQL in quite a while, so I was really glad to find this one.
The only problem with it is when I try compiling other things, like MyODBC.

[...]
> Personally, I run all Slack systems and build from source without problems.  I
> put a /mysql partition on the servers when I install them and use the following
> to configure:
> ./configure --with-mysqld-user=mysql --localstatedir=/mysql

Actually, I use a single "data" user for all my databases.  I
occasionally play with postgresql and I've tried a few others, but MySQL
is my current favorite.  The example I gave omitted the user because
I've tried it with and without and with various other values, and the
user has no effect on the result.  Segfault.

> Never have problems with it.  Of course, make sure you have the mysql user added
> to your system.

Well, I have a "data" user instead, but I did check that.  That's the
user the working daemon runs as with no problems.  The daemon I compiled
doesn't care what the username is.  It just doesn't run.

> Hope that gives some insight.  BTW, the package I built for the Alpha is still
> running to this day, so I'd be curious to hear that some of the files were
> omitted.  If anything, there should have been more than necessary (src included
> for instance).

Okay, then here's an example:

Compiling MyODBC-2.50.36 with the Slackware MySQL package in /usr (3.23.34)

gauss:~/download/MyODBC-2.50.36>./configure --enable-static --enable-shared
--with-mysql-libs=/usr/lib/mysql --with-mysql-includes=/usr/include/mysql
--with-unixODBC --with-iodbc
[...]
checking for the mysql client libraries... /usr/lib/mysql
checking for mysql_real_query in -lmysqlclient... yes
checking for mysql include files in /usr/include/mysql... yes
checking for sql.h... yes
checking for sqlext.h... yes
checking for odbcinst.h... yes
checking for SQLGetPrivateProfileString in -lodbcinst... yes
checking for SQLHENV... yes
checking for SQLHDBC... yes
checking for SQLHSTMT... yes
checking for SQLINTEGER... yes
checking for SQLUINTEGER... yes
checking for SQLSMALLINT... yes
checking for SQLUSMALLINT... yes
checking for SQLPOINTER... yes
checking for SQLHWND... yes
checking for SQLRETURN... yes
checking for SQLCHAR... yes
updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile
creating myconf.h
gauss:~/download/MyODBC-2.50.36>make
/bin/sh ./libtool --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -I/usr/include/mysql
-Iyes/include  -g -O2 -c catalog.c
mkdir .libs
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -I/usr/include/mysql -Iyes/include -g -O2
-Wp,-MD,.deps/catalog.pp -c  -fPIC -DPIC catalog.c -o .libs/catalog.lo
In file included from /usr/include/mysql/my_sys.h:588,
                 from myodbc.h:24,
                 from catalog.c:9:
/usr/include/mysql/raid.h:41: my_dir.h: No such file or directory
make: *** [catalog.lo] Error 1
Exit 2
gauss:~/download/MyODBC-2.50.36>

Looks to me like some of the MySQL include files weren't in the
Slackware package.  That's why I'm trying to compile from source.  I
suppose I could just grab the 3.23.34 source and manually install any
files that seem to be missing, but that strikes me as a particularly
awkward and unreliable solution.  I'd much rather just solve the problem
than play hit-and-miss at working around it.

--
            -Dave Noelle,                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
            -the Villa Straylight,  http://www.straylight.org

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed above relate in no way to anything at all
and are merely the ramblings of an over-stressed C.S. geek: read at own risk

Quote of the Day:
It's hard to soar like an eagle when you are surrounded by turkeys.