[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I can use the binary distributions of MySQL without any problems.  I'm
> currently using the binary distribution I got from Slackware, and it
> works fine.  (That's the version reported by mysqlbug.)  Unfortunately,
> binary distributions don't contain all the files necessary (such as
> shared libraries) for many of the things I would like to use with MySQL.

Dave:

I might be partly responsible for this since MySQL didn't show up in the
slackware distribution until I built one for the DEC Alpha.  It's running great
on my Alpha at version 3.23.33 and I'm staying there until the 3.23.3x versions
settled down.

It was my first attempt at building a slack package, so there might have been
something inherited in the i386 build after Slackware started including it.
This is, of course, speculation, but the timing makes sense.

Personally, I run all Slack systems and build from source without problems.  I
put a /mysql partition on the servers when I install them and use the following
to configure:
./configure --with-mysqld-user=mysql --localstatedir=/mysql

Never have problems with it.  Of course, make sure you have the mysql user added
to your system.

Hope that gives some insight.  BTW, the package I built for the Alpha is still
running to this day, so I'd be curious to hear that some of the files were
omitted.  If anything, there should have been more than necessary (src included
for instance).

Regards,
Van