Mark Matthews said:

> William R. Mussatto wrote:
>> Keith Ivey said:

Also new connector/J version

>>>What version of MySQL were you using previously?  If it was 4.1.0 or
>>> earlier, then this
>>>might be useful reading:
>>>
>>>http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Password_hashing.html
>>>
>>>--
>>>Keith Ivey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>>Washington, DC
>>
>> Thanks, I'll check it out.  I did the development under linux using
>> 3.23.xx and perl 5.6 Basically debian stable.
>>
>> From the article it looks like I'll have to fall back to a 4.0
>> version.
>>
>> I was hoping, but using a clean install on the windows box to avoid
>> these issues.
>> I'll try  SET PASSWORD FOR 'some_user'@'some_host' =
>> OLD_PASSWORD('mypass');
>
> William,
>
> You'll need a copy of DBD::MySQL that's linked with libmysql from 4.1 to
> get around this issue (and use the new server-side prepared statements
> as well). Patrick Galbraith (a MySQL engineer) has pushed the required
> changes into the CVS repo of DBD::MySQL, however that hasn't been
> released yet as a binary by the DBD::MySQL maintainer  (DBD::MySQL
> version  2.9015)
>
>> Thanks that worked, now to see what happends when I try w/connector/J
>
> As long as you're using a recent version of Connector/J (3.0.15 or
> 3.1.4), it'll work fine.
>
> Regards,
>
>       -Mark
Tried it and now I get connection timed out after three tries.  I'm
running the testbed using the tomcat buried in netbeans.  Cut and pasted
the example from the on line docs.  Put the jar in the WEB-INF/lib
dirctory.  Compiles fine..  I'm using the in line driver registration
rather than modifying the
web.xml file.

Tested user on the same box with command line client using the
--host=localhost and it connected fine (had run grant all for the
'username'@'localhost' earlier.  Any thoughts?

Of course I've been using your old mm version with 3.23.x (to match our
debian install).

With 4.7.1 both the old mm connector and the current connector/J both time
out.  Anythink I should check. And no. there is no local firewll installed
on the box.

--
William R. Mussatto, Senior Systems Engineer
Ph. 909-920-9154 ext. 27