Windows has always been more graphical. For Linux, depending on the version
that you have downloaded
(binary v. source) you have to do very little to configure it for a dedicated
server. Check out the
my.cnf files in the /support-files/ folder of your MySQL installation. Use
these as a guideline. The
more RAM you have or the more dedicated you want the server, the different
my.cnf files that you
want to copy to /etc/my.cnf

For Small Servers (256 - 512 RAM) or "Development", use:
shell> cp /usr/local/mysql/support-files/my-small.cnf /etc/my.cnf

For Medium Servers (512 - 1GB RAM) or "Server", use:
shell> cp /usr/local/mysql/support-files/my-medium.cnf /etc/my.cnf

For Large Servers (1GB - 2GB RAM) or "Dedicated", use:
shell> cp /usr/local/mysql/support-files/my-large.cnf /etc/my.cnf

For Extra Large Servers ( 2GB< RAM ) running only MySQL, use:
shell> cp /usr/local/mysql/support-files/my-huge.cnf /etc/my.cnf

Each of these can be found in the my-(small, medium, large, huge).cnf files.
They are commented out
sections. There is nothing new that you need to download.

Also, make sure you read the manual and installation instructions. All of this
information and more
is located in there.

J.R.