Got me then?! I am still running 4.0.22. Waiting for the connecter/J to come out of gamma and for 4.1.* to stabilize a bit, so I can't offer much other than what I have read.

Frank Febbraro wrote:
Are you seeing the slowdown only from your java app? Or from all clients?

I see this slowdown from my java app AND from the remote MySQL client
application (called MySQL Query Browser 1.1.1 and 1.1.2). Basically I
see the slowdown from all clients that are remote machines, but I do
not see it when I execute the queries on localhost (the server on
which the database is running)

In the changelog for the 3.0.16 connector, they disabled BufferedInput
as they were having problems with it on some systems.  You should be
able to pass useUnbufferedInput=true in the jdbc url to get this back.
I think they are working on their own implementation to get buffered
input back in the new 3.1 connector.

I experienced the slowdown with the 3.0.15 driver so I upgraded to the
3.0.16 driver and have the same problem.

Any insight?

THanks again,
Frank