[snip]
I would be deliriously happy if someone could explain WHY these
statement _should_ have different results. If I am wrong and these
UPDATE statements are supposed to provide different results, I would
like to learn how I became so confused over something this fundamental.
Until I get credible information to the contrary, I will stick with the
hypothesis that this is a BUG in the execution engine.
[/snip]

Shawn, what makes an InnoDB table different from any other type of table
with regards to the way UPDATE is processed? When you issue a
multi-table update you must adhere to the properties of JOINs, hence
they must be in the correct order. For reference, pages 234-236 of Paul
DuBois' MySQL - Second Edition describe the importance of JOINs in the
context of multi-table updates and deletes. Paul specifically mentions
MySQL versions 4.x.x concerning these operations.

Regardless of this being transactional the JOIN order is still
important, because a transaction only fails or rollsback if all of the
statements do not complete. In the OPs case the transaction did
complete, one table was updated, negating the conditions for the second
table's update. Updates occur in order of the JOIN. This would not be a
bug IMHO. If you believe it to be you need to submit it to the powers
that be for a response/resolution.