[snip]
So the question is not, if a multi table update should be implemented
serialized. The answer is clear: yes it should.
The question is, on which data the subsequent updates should work.
[/snip]

It should work on the data specified in the update query. Each set
statement is isolated and the join applies to the set statement at hand.

update t2, t1, t0
set t2.value=IF(t1.value='foo', 1, 0) <--updates based on these
conditions && join
, t1.value='bar' <--updates based on these conditions && join
, t0.value=IF(t1.value='bar', 5, 2) <--updates based on these conditions
&& join
WHERE t2.id = t1.id
AND t1.id = t0.id <-- all updates based on these conditions

Now, there was a bug that pointed out earlier concerning joins in
multi-table updates, but this has been fixed in version 4.1.x ^ I may
not be understanding you still, my apologies if not.