On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 12:22:18 +0000
Stephen Moretti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Kentucky Families wrote:
>
> > ... If I use a VARCHAR or TINYEXT field to enter these values and
> >I want to be able to retrieve all records where the surname field
> >contains the whole word Stotts, how would I enter these values:
> >
> >stotts or statts or stutts
> >stotts,statts,stutts
> >other?
>
> You need to do an IN query.
>
> SELECT column,list,here
> FROM tblBMD
> WHERE Surname IN ('stotts','statts','stutts')

This will not match any of the records with multiple transcriptions.
I think you have mis-understood the question. As I understand it she
asks how to enter multiple possible transcriptions into the field so
that they can be retrieved easily.

My answer is: since commas are unlikely in names, that is as good a
separator as any. To do the query use wildcard matching with LIKE e.g.

SELECT * FROM table WHERE surname LIKE '%stotts%';

will match a field 'Stotts,Statts,Stutts' or just 'Stotts' but note it
will also match e.g. 'Stottsford,Stattsford,Stuttsford'