On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 02:29:00PM -0400, Ken Menzel wrote:

> Load balancing, because I can't run two servers on the same port
> either!

Right.

> I have to use say 3307, 3308, 3309 and then do at least DNS round
> robin, what do you think Jeremey?

DNS round robin on affects hostnames, not port numbers.

> Anybody on your end have a better idea?  Doesn't sound to me like
> the best solution.

If you have a nice abstraction library in place in your code, it
shouldn't be to hard to implement something.

How about this. You have N MySQL daemons running and they are
listening on ports numbered:

  3306 + (N - (N-0))
  3306 + (N - (N-1))
  3306 + (N - (N-2))
  3306 + (N - (N-N))

In your database library, you take the PID of the client divide by N
and use the remanider to decide which port to connect to. It's not a
perfect scheme, but it's realtively simple, easy, and likely to work
reasonably well.

> I have heard of people trying to make the linuxthreads work on
> FreeBSD but I have not heard of anyone having success.

You could be the first. :-)

Now you know why, despite the fact that we're a FreeBSD shop, the most
critical MySQL servers I deal with are on Linux instead of
FreeBSD. :-(

Jeremy
--
Jeremy D. Zawodny, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>