I've tried using a variety of very wide open permissions just to get something to connect including:

using the root user/password in the php scripts

declaring a user in mysql,...

grant all on mydatabase.* to myuser identified by 'mypassword';
grant all on mydatabase.* to myuser@'%' identified by 'mypassword';
grant all on mydatabase.* to [EMAIL PROTECTED] identified by 'mypassword';
grant all on mydatabase.* to [EMAIL PROTECTED] identified by 'mypassword'; [my current IP]
grant all on mydatabase.* to [EMAIL PROTECTED] identified by 'mypassword';

flushed privileges,..etc,...no go,...

Thanks for any other ideas!
Jeff