Hi Hal,

Do you mean using the same version but accessing 2 different sets of
tables? I'm a little confused as to what your requirements are.

You could install both versions and use aliases to ensure that you can
access only one instance at a time by the method you described. You
would have new-mysql aliases to a mysql command with either a different
port number or hostname to access the newer version whereas the mysql
would point to localhost on the standard port.

I run 2 different versions on one of my smaller linux boxes for
precisely the reason you are talking about. If you are accessing these
via php for example, you can use an environment variable to set which
port, host etc. you wish to talk to.

Regards

David Logan
Database Administrator