On Thursday 17 February 2005 10:18 am, Hassan Schroeder wrote:
> Hal Vaughan wrote:
> > I've tried this by running 2 instances of mysqld, the first with no
> > arguments, and the second like this:
> >
> > mysqld --port=3307 --datadir=/dbtest/mysql
> >
> > I have to run mysqld directly -- not through safe_mysqld
> > (which /etc/init.d/mysql calls).  If I run it through safe_mysqld, I can
> > run only one instance at a time, it will exit without running a new
> > instance if it detects one already running.
>
> FWIW, `/etc/init.d/mysql` and `safe_mysqld` are just shell scripts.
> Hence you can copy and change them easily to run multiple versions
> or instances of most software...

I see that, but even when I bypass them, I can run 2 instances of mysqld, it
shows up in the task list as 2 separate tasks, but they both use the data
directory specified in the last instance I run.

I'm trying to get 2 different instances of mysqld running at the same time,
each using a different port and different data directory.

Hal