I am not quite sure I understand your question, then: you would have to
make your table structure a little clearer. Generally, however, puristic
database design would say that you do not have the same "class" of data in
different tables. Instead, you have one "master" table with all the
"similar" data in it, tagged by a unique ID, and all the other tables
refer to the master copy by that ID. You then "reconstruct" the original
table at query time using a JOIN. Then, of course, it is trivial to search
the master table.

I will say that I think fulltext will not help you, if I understand your
problem. Fulltext divides a column into separate words, based on the
spaces (and non alphanumerics) in the string. Since, as I understand it,
your DNA sequences have no natural breaks and the "words", such as they
are, can start at any base, fulltext will not help you.

"mel list_php" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 23/03/2005 11:00:08:

> Unfortunatly they are not, I have something like 30 tables, with I would
say
> 10 to 15 fields per table.
> The number of row per table is quite low, i think it won't exceed
> 500-1000/table. But I may sometimes have to search into dna sequences
> (around 5000 atcg characters in any order), so that is quite heavy.
Maybe