David Blomstrom wrote:

>I acquired a CD-ROM that lists many thousands of
>animal species. The main file is a 813-MB MDB file.
>I'm not sure if it's a spreadsheet or database, but
>it's apparently designed to work with Microsoft
>Access, which I THINK is a spreadsheet. (I don't have
>it.)
>
>I have just enough memory to open the file in WordPad,
>but it doesn't do any good because much of the data
>consists of unintelligible characters.
>
>Anyway, I need to figure out a way to import this
>monster into MySQL. Are you aware of any freeware
>programs that can open up files designed for Access?
>Is there a way to convert a MDB file directly into a
>csv file, which could then be imported into MySQL?
>
>I'll probably eventually break it into sections. At
>the very least, I'll probably divide it between
>vertebrates (which I'll use the most) and
>invertebrates.
>
>Thanks.

mdb is a binary format, and contains data, forms, reports, queries, vb
code and other 'stuff'.

There is an mdbtools project on sourceforge:
http://mdbtools.sourceforge.net/
I'm pretty sure it's Linux-only, but I may be wrong.
It exports to various databases ( including MySQL ) and to text files.

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer