Mathias,

2 other things :
1. what is your character set when you install the mysql server ?

I used the binaries from mysql.com. I think that has latin1/swedish as a default. But anyways, I really don't like the idea to recompile MySQL just to get my character sets work all right.

2. what characater set you see with "show create database" ?

mysql> show create database ttt;
CREATE DATABASE `ttt` /*!40100 DEFAULT CHARACTER SET latin2 */

And also:
mysql> show create table test;
| test | CREATE TABLE `test` (
`id` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,
`try` varchar(60) character set latin2 collate latin2_hungarian_ci NOT NULL default '',
PRIMARY KEY (`id`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin2 COMMENT='iso test' |

BTW, I figured out that setting character_set_results to NULL also works. Yet that is a command I have to issue... not something I can set in the config.

- Cs.