"mathias fatene" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 04/25/2005 03:19:33 PM:

> Hi,
> You can do something like that :
>

> mysql> select * from son;
> +------+
> | a    |
> +------+
> |    1 |
> |    2 |
> |    3 |
> +------+
> 3 rows in set (0.02 sec)
> mysql> select * from mother;
> +------+------+
> | a    | b    |
> +------+------+
> |    1 | a    |
> |    1 | b    |
> |    2 | a    |
> |    2 | c    |
> |    3 | a    |
> |    3 | b    |
> |    3 | c    |
> |    3 | d    |
> +------+------+
> 8 rows in set (0.00 sec)
>
> mysql> select a,max(b) from mother
>     -> group by a;
> +------+--------+
> | a    | max(b) |
> +------+--------+
> |    1 | b      |
> |    2 | c      |
> |    3 | d      |
> +------+--------+
> 3 rows in set (0.00 sec)
>
> The max will be used with your datetime column. The "son" table can not
> be used, or joined to the mother.
>

> Best Regards
> --------------------
> Mathias FATENE
>
> Hope that helps
> *This not an official mysql support answer

I think I am decent at what I do and that confused even me. I am totally
baffled at what SQL concept you were trying to illustrate.

How did you _help_ the OP?  The question that started this thread is an
example of a common class of SQL problems and several solutions exist.
Your "solution" neither answered his query nor was it explained to the
point that made it comprehendable. Please, please try to be less confusing
(especially when responding to newbies).

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine