Mark Sargent wrote:

Simon Garner wrote:

On 2/05/2005 5:21 p.m., Mark Sargent wrote:

Hi All,

I did this below,

mysql>SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@'localhost' = PASSWORD('whatafraka');

and then tried logging on,

[EMAIL PROTECTED] bluefish-1.0]# mysql -h localhost -u root -pwhatafraka
ERROR 1251: Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client

What is this..? Why is it asking me to upgrade the client.? Cheers.

Mark Sargent.

See here: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/password-hashing.html

Presumably your server is running 4.1 with new passwords and your client is an older version.

-Simon

Hi All,

master/client are the same machine. I installed via tar.gz, ver 4.1 following this page

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/installing-binary.html

for installation on FC3. Why would it say that the client doesn't support it.? Cheers.

P.S. I now can't log onto the server as root. So, I tried following this page,

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/resetting-permissions.html

but got this,

[EMAIL PROTECTED] bin]# ./mysqld_safe --skip-grant-tables -u root &
[1] 5005
[EMAIL PROTECTED] bin]# Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
STOPPING server from pid file /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
050502 14:46:36 mysqld ended

[1]+  Done                    ./mysqld_safe --skip-grant-tables -u root

But, jobs shows no running mysql.
Where am I..? Cheers.

Mark Sargent.

Hi All,

ok, I restarted, then did service mysql stop to stop the running mysql that is started at boot. I then ran, again, ./mysqld_safe --skip-grant-tables -u root & and then connected using mysql with success. Still don't understand why the client can't authenticate, when the master/client is the same machine. I also don't understand why jobs doesn't show the current running mysql as I thought appending & at the end of the cmd makes it run as a background, which jobs shows. Also, using kill 'process id' doesn't stop it either. Cheers.

Mark Sargent.