If my compiler would validate the SQL Statements and ensure that they were
perfect, then I wouldn't have a problem at all.

However, since no developer tool that I have ever used (and I've used a lot of
different ones) does compile time validation of SQL syntax, that's pretty
much out of the question.

This is the same problem with untyped, or weakly typed languages. The compiler
doesn't catch the problem and you end up with run-time errors unless you
EXHAUSTIVELY test every path through the application. If I were initially
writing on MySQL for UNIX (as opposed to MySQL for Windows which is not case
sensitve), it probably wouldn't be a big deal either. Again, my problem is
that I have a cross-database application and the non-standard behaviors cause
problems.