Hello All,
I'm trying to get mediawiki working on a solaris 9 domain (this is on a Sun 15k, FWIW). I had mysql installed and in a fit of stupidity, managed to remove /tmp/mysql.sock. After scouring the Usenet via google, and searching through the archives at lists.mysql.com, I'm still in a quandry as to how to recreate this pointer.

First off, there is no /var/lib directory, so it wasn't pointing there (as was pointed to in one google hit). Actually, there's no mysql.sock anywhere on this system (as far as I can tell).

So I've re-configured, re-compiled and re-installed mysql-4.1.12 but it still does not create the pointer to mysql.sock.

I'm enough of a mysql newbie (though a solaris oldbee) to be uncertain how to communicate with this service (I thought that if the socket wasn't there, it would use tcp/ip). Goes to show what I know! Any pointers on how to recreate /tmp.mysql.sock, and what it should be pointing to will be a great help.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Paul Mitchell
        Paul Mitchell
        email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        phone: (919) 962-9778
        office: I have an office, room 14, Phillips Hall