Chris Fonnesbeck wrote:

Sorry. While I am able to log in, I get the following:

| GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'chris'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY
PASSWORD '*446CB892D3DFFDDC86BDDF26E4EB43158356DF64' WITH GRANT OPTION

This is a new, 4.1+, 41 byte password hash.

after a restart, I get

| GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'chris'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY
PASSWORD '3446cb892d3dffdd' WITH GRANT OPTION |

This is an old, pre 4.1, 16 byte password hash.

Does this mean the password has somehow changed?

Yes. The question is, how? Something is not just changing the password, it is changing the way it is stored.

You said you have 4.1.12 on OS X 10.4. Was this an upgrade from a previous, 4.0.x version? Is it possible you have a script that fires at startup which is copying your old mysql db over your new one? Perhaps something left over from the migration process which you forgot to turn off?

Here's a test.  Create a new user:

  GRANT ALL ON test.* TO [EMAIL PROTECTED] IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD 'testing';

Verify this worked with

  SHOW GRANTS FOR [EMAIL PROTECTED];

then restart the way you usually do.  Log into mysql as root and

  SHOW GRANTS FOR [EMAIL PROTECTED];

I'm betting [EMAIL PROTECTED] will have disappeared completely. Either way, we'll know more.

C.

Michael