Timothy Smith wrote:

Hi, Daniel,

First, here's a trick that *should* work for dumping out the data.
Change directory to the MySQL data directory, and then use this little
shell command:

for d in mysql test; do (cd $d; tables=`/bin/ls -1 *.frm | sed -e s,\\.frm,,`;
mysqldump $d $tables); done > tables_dump.sql

No such luck. A slightly modified script:

for d in dreams entropy incidents mysql; do cd $d; tables=`ls -l *.frm | sed -e s,\\.frm,,`; mysqldump $d $tables -psome_password; cd ..; done > tables_dump.sql

gives:

mysqldump: mysqldump: Couldn't execute 'SHOW TABLES LIKE '1'': Column 'TABLE_NAME' in field list is ambiguous (1052) mysqldump: mysqldump: Couldn't execute 'SHOW TABLES LIKE '1'': Column 'TABLE_NAME' in field list is ambiguous (1052) mysqldump: mysqldump: Couldn't execute 'SHOW TABLES LIKE '1'': Column 'TABLE_NAME' in field list is ambiguous (1052) mysqldump: mysqldump: Couldn't execute 'SHOW TABLES LIKE '1'': Column 'TABLE_NAME' in field list is ambiguous (1052)

It seems that mysqldump wants to inspect the schema, which is borked.

I have backups of everything vitally important, but there is some poor soul who has the same problem as me - he's responded to my post on the list. Maybe you should give him a hand. I can get data out from the mysql client if I know the table names already. Currently I haven't actually done this ... mainly because I have backups of everything important. If there is a way of reformatting the output of the mysql client into .... say ... the output of mysqldump, then that would be great. But as I said, I'm covered by backups, and I do realise the danger of beta software.

I would be very interested in tracing this.  I'd suggest that you do
make a copy of your /var/lib/mysql folder, just for completeness.  If
you can create a bug report and attach that file, it would be perfect.

Or, feel free to just send it to me and I'll check it out and file a
report.  If it's too large to send by e-mail, you could either FTP it to
ftp://ftp.mysql.com/pub/mysql/upload/ (let me know the file name)
I've entered a bug report at:
http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=12475

I've ftp'd my /var/lib/mysql folder to the 'secret' directory on your ftp site. The filename is:
issue_12475.tar.bz2

Dan