Dave wrote:
[snip]

I believe I will need to use the new password hashing algorithm, because using the old one would require me to reconfigure the PHP code for the forum, which would be a level of complexity beyond my capabilities.

So I now understand that I can not decrypt the passwords into any kind of plain text and then re-encrypt them. And I also understand that the most likely course of action from this point will be to get the users to update their passwords. However, just to double check and be 100% sure. Is there no way to convert directly from one password field to the other? Something where I, the administrator, can never see the plain text version of the password?

No, because that would require MySQL to 'see' the plain text version of the password. For MySQL to do that, the proces would look something like:

PASSWORD()ed password  --->  plain text  --->  MD5ed password

The first link in that chain is mathematically impossible (even if you never saw the plain text password, it would have to get to that stage in order to be put through the MD5 algorithm).

--
Jasper Bryant-Greene
Freelance web developer

If you find my advice useful, please consider donating to a poor
student! You can choose whatever amount you think my advice was
worth to you. http://tinyurl.com/7oa5s