Scott Haneda wrote:

Hello, currently I run mysql 3.x on Mac OS X 10.3.

I have about as much ram in the machine as I can, and have tunes it the best
I can, however, I still see the performance drop pretty badly at times.

After reading this:
<http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2436> I suspect OS X is just
not going to cut it.

I have a few years in a shell on OS X, but that's about it, I can get
around, compile stuff, etc, but I am in no way a master.

Part of me leans on getting into x86 BSD of some sort, so at least I am more
comfortable with it as it is going to be similar to OS X.  However, if
someone can tell me a good Linux distro to go with, I will use that.

Mainly, I would like to know what hardware to be looking at, something in
the rack mount style, a 1U would be nice.  Bigger if need be.

I just set up a LAMP system on a SunFire V20z dual 248 Opteron (2.2GHz), and the performance is amazing. I would have no problem with setting up a white-box Opteron system for an in-house server, but this customer wanted a big-name retailer behind the server, and Sun's hardware is very nice, while being fairly priced.

I would first try running Linux on your PPC system, and seeing if you get enough improvement out of it to keep things together for now - it will most likely give you some breathing space. Otherwise I'd go with a dual Opteron system like the above SunFire. I personally find people's decision to continue using Intel-based systems quite puzzling considering AMD are clearly the leaders in 64-bit computing now. The fact that Intel are moving to EMT-64 ( AMD's x86-64 spec, minus any mention of AMD of course ) drives this point home. AMD's superior bus & memory architecture also put it way above anything Intel have on offer - particularly in SMP systems, no matter what speed EMT-64 processor you compare against.

As for distros, I use Gentoo. I realise this will cause some to roll their eyes back and laugh. I stand by my recommendation anyway, for the following ( brief ) points:

- Managability
Portage gives you a very simple way of installing a multitude of packages, and keeping them up to date. I've managed 4 production Gentoo servers for the past 3 years now, and I've been very pleased with the ease of upgrades. Critics will say that source-only distros are not suitable for servers. My experience says the opposite. I've not had the same issues keeping my Gentoo systems current as I've had previously with Slackware, Suse and RedHat servers.

- Good x86-64 ( and other architecture ) support
Gentoo was among the 1st to support x86-64, and is now very stable on this architecture. As a side note, their PPC support is also very impressive. I'm running Gentoo Linux as my primary OS on my Apple Powerbook, and have had nothing but blissfull success setting everything up.

- Excellent online forum and community
The Gentoo forums ( forums.gentoo.org ) is the best Linux community I've encountered - for tech support and just for general friendliness.

The main hurdle for setting up a Gentoo server will be the installation process. It's not too difficult, but it's certainly not as fast as setting up other distros. If you're willing & able to put in a couple of hours for reading and configuring things, it will be well worth it.

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer