For hardware we are just assembling generic Athlon 64 boxes.
I just put together two Dual core A64 4400+ boxes as web
servers, running them as a two node cluster.
My new DB box is a Dual core 4400+ with 4gigs of memory
and 10k sata drives.  I know some folks have had trouble with
the 10k drives but they have been working really well for us.

As far as web servers go (for example) we were able to replace
a dual xeon 3gig box and scsi drives with a $700 Athlon 64 3500+ using 7200rpm sata drives. The Athlon system serves web pages
at least 1.5 times faster than the xeon box did. The IO is so much
better with the Athlon 64 boxes. At this time we are getting enough performance per dollar that we are not going to go to
the Opterons, although I would like to try a few.  ;-))

Larry Lowry