From: Ansgar Becker [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2001 9:29 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Performance MySQL with C-API

> insert 200 strings + timestamps a second through the API. Does that sound
> too less or am I expecting too much? Do benchmarks or test results for the
> C API exist? If someone has more experience on this or knows a place where
> I can find out more, plz let me know.

I just ran this test on a win32-machine with 500MHz, 196 MB RAM and
IDE-drive:

- created table test with 3 fields:
  id (unsigned int, primary key, autoincrement, not null),
  string (varchar 128),
  ts (timestamp 14)

- generated 10.000 random string-values (32 chars each) and
  made 1 insert-query out of them:
  insert into test
   (string)
   values (randomstring1),
   values (randomstring3),
   values (randomstring10000)

- executed this query with mysql-front (same as C-API)

Result: less than one second execution time! On our sun solaris (450MHz,
256RAM) the same query needed 1,6 seconds (through php!).

I think execution time depends very much on database-design.

Greetings,
Ansgar Becker