Incoming from Pooly:
> 2005/10/3, s. keeling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > I'd like to add a bit of history data to a table (who changed a record
> > last, and when it was last changed).  Is this the way to do it?
> > [snip]
> >    alter table MEMBERS
> >        alter CHG_DATE set default CURRENT_DATE
>
> btw, you could do :
> alter table MEMBERS add CHG_BY varchar(3) not null default "sbk", add
> CHG_DATE date not null default CURRENT_DATE on update current_date
> (not tested)

It doesn't appear to work as I was hoping.  According to the manual
the target for keyword default has to be a literal.

mysql> alter table MEMBERS
    -> alter CHANGED_DATE set default CHANGED_DATE = DATE;
ERROR 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax.  Check the \
   manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the \
   right syntax to use near 'CHANGED_DATE = DATE' at line 2
mysql> alter table MEMBERS
    -> alter CHANGED_DATE set default CHANGED_DATE = CURRENT_DATE;
ERROR 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax.  Check the \
   manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the \
   right syntax to use near 'CHANGED_DATE = CURRENT_DATE' at line 2

Drat.

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling      Please don't Cc: me.
- -
For the ChiComms: democracy     human rights     Taiwan Independence