AS JIGAL SAID :
make sure you are not creating an INSERT statement bigger than the
max_allowed_packet setting for both your destination server and your
client library (whichever ones you are using). If you attempt to create a
packet that is too large, the server will _ignore_ it. Because the packet
(SQL statement)  is too large, it is considered "malformed" and any
processing of it will be aborted.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/packet-too-large.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/memory-use.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/server-parameters.html