Thank so much for the detailed explaination. I do appreciate it.

It's more clear now. But I still have a question:

I do see 'root' after: select user,host from mysql.user;

Then I did this as you said:

GRANT SELECT ON mydatabase.* TO [EMAIL PROTECTED] IDENTIFIED BY 'mypassword';

then I issue:

select * from mysql.user where user='root';

I found the select previlege is still 'N'.

Besided this, how do I know 'mydatabase' from those tables in 'mysql'
database that 'mydatabase' is allowed to be connected by 'root' from the
IP. I am confusing here because the 'user' table only give the association
betweem 'host' and user 'root' in the Mysql server. But where is the
database association?

wait a minute, yes, I see. When I issue:

select * from mysql.db where user='root';

I did see the association and the SELECT_priv is 'Y' there.

But, in the java program running in the local XP machine still can NOT
connect to the database existing in the other Solaris machine!!!!!!

I tried in the local XP machine:

telnet theserver 3306

I failed.

I guess this is why I can not connect to the server. Could be it possible
that the Solaris machine deny any request from the PC to the port 3306? I
can ssh to the server, or using winscp.

I am really confused here. Is it a mysql issue or the system configuration
issue on the server?

Btw, I can run the same java program from other machine in Solaris system
to connect the database as the user 'root'. Does this imply that it's
administration issue?

Thanks for your kind help and patience.

Xiaobo

--