Bruno,

>when the contact has an address, phone and email it  works just fine, but
>I want it to display those how doesnt also!  Could someone with JOINs
>experience help me?

Your FROM t1,t2,... WHERE condition1, condition2... joins are INNER, so they exclude contacts without addresses, phone numbers &c.

It's much easier--for understanding, designing and debugging queries--to write explicit joins, for example

...FROM flx_contacts AS contacts
INNER JOIN flx_contacts_addresses AS addresses,
ON contacts.contact_id = addresses.contact_id ...

will return only the contacts which have matching rows in addresses, but

... FROM flx_contacts AS contacts
LEFT JOIN flx_contacts_addresses AS addresses,
ON contacts.contact_id = addresses.contact_id ...

will return contacts with and without addresses, with NULLs in the address columns for those contacts without addresses.

So I suggest that you rewrite your query using this syntax, specifying INNER or LEFT as needed.

PB

-----

bruno b b magalhães wrote:

Hi guys,

I need some help with an query that I know I must use joins, but I can't figure out how to.

The problem is, when the contact has an address, phone and email it works just fine, but I want it to display those how doesnt also! Could someone with JOINs experience help me?

And one more question, how compatible are joins? I mean, the environment I am developing in is MySQL 4.1, but some of my clients are using 4.0.25 and others are using 5.0.

The query is this:

======================================================================== ================
SELECT SQL_CACHE
    /* CONTACTS FIELDS */
    contacts.contact_id                        AS id,
    contacts.contact_code                    AS code,
    contacts.contact_name                    AS name,
    contacts.contact_tax_id                    AS tax_id,
    contacts.contact_birth                        AS birth,
(YEAR(CURDATE())-YEAR(contacts.contact_birth))-(RIGHT(CURDATE(),5) <RIGHT(contacts.contact_birth,5)) AS age,
    contacts.contact_timezone                AS timezone,

    /* CONTACTS RELATED FIELDS */
    contact_entities.contact_entity_name        AS entity_name,
    contact_genders.contact_gender_name    AS gender_name,
    contact_types.contact_type_name            AS type_name,
    contact_types.contact_type_level            AS type_level,
    contact_statuses.contact_status_name        AS status_name

FROM
    /* CONTACTS TABLES */
    flx_contacts                    AS contacts,
    flx_contacts_to_contacts        AS contacts_to_contacts,
/* CONTACTS RELATED TABLES */
    flx_contact_entities            AS contact_entities,
    flx_contact_genders            AS contact_genders,
    flx_contact_types                AS contact_types,
    flx_contact_statuses            AS contact_statuses,

    /* ADDRESSES TABLES */
    flx_contacts_addresses        AS addresses,
    flx_'contacts_address_types    AS address_types,
    flx_contacts_to_addresses    AS contacts_to_addresses,

    /* PHONES TABLES */
    flx_contacts_phones            AS phones,
    flx_contacts_phone_types        AS phone_types,
    'flx_contacts_to_phones        AS contacts_to_phones,

    /* EMAILS TABLES */
    flx_contacts_emails            AS emails,
    flx_contacts_email_types        AS email_types,
    flx_'contacts_to_emails        AS contacts_to_emails

/* JOINING CONTACTS RELATED TABLES */
WHERE
contacts.contact_id = contacts_to_contacts.contact_child_id
AND
contacts.contact_entity_id = contact_entities.contact_entity_id
AND
    contacts.contact_gender_id    = contact_genders.contact_gender_id
AND
    contacts.contact_type_id        = contact_types.contact_type_id
AND
contacts.contact_status_id = contact_statuses.contact_status_id
AND
    contacts_to_contacts.contact_parent_id = 0

/* JOINING ADDRESSES TABLES */
AND
addresses.address_id = contacts_to_addresses.address_id
AND
    contacts_to_addresses.contact_id            = contacts.contact_id
AND
contacts_to_addresses.address_type_id = address_types.address_type_id

/* JOINING PHONES TABLES */
AND
    phones.phone_id                        = contacts_to_phones.phone_id
AND
    contacts_to_phones.contact_id            = contacts.contact_id
AND
    contacts_to_phones.phone_type_id        = phone_types.phone_type_id

/* JOINING EMAILS TABLES */
AND
emails.email_id = contacts_to_emails.email_id
AND
    contacts_to_emails.contact_id                = contacts.contact_id
AND
contacts_to_emails.email_type_id = email_types.email_type_id

/* SEARCHING */
AND
MATCH (contacts.contact_code, contacts.contact_name, contacts.contact_tax_id) AGAINST ('KEYWORD' IN BOOLEAN MODE)
OR
MATCH (addresses.address_line_one, addresses.address_line_two, addresses.address_line_three, addresses.address_zipcode, addresses.address_neighborhood, addresses.address_city, addresses.address_state, addresses.address_country) AGAINST ('KEYWORD' IN BOOLEAN MODE)
OR
MATCH (phones.phone_countrycode, phones.phone_areacode, phones.phone_number) AGAINST ('KEYWORD' IN BOOLEAN MODE)
OR
    MATCH (emails.email_address) AGAINST ('KEYWORD' IN BOOLEAN MODE)

GROUP BY
    contacts.contact_id
ORDER BY
    contacts.contact_name