From: "sheeri kritzer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "MySQL List" <mysql@lists.mysql.com>
Sent: November 22, 2005 9:31 AM
Subject: Re: UPDATE and INDEX updates

Mike,

The documentation at
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/update.html explains that MySQL
is aware of the fact that it only needs to update different values --
for instance, it returns only the # of rows changed, not the # of rows
looked at.  Given that, I will extrapolate that MySQL is not going to
re-work an index unless it actually changes a value.

-Sheeri

On 11/21/05, Mike OK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi
>
>     I was wondering how the index process worked internally for UPDATE
statements.  If I was to "set" a value for a column with the UPDATE
statement but the value was the same, would MySQL re-work the index??  I can
check for data change for each column inside of my code before UPDATE but
want to make sure I need to before going ahead.   Mike