You, yourself, explain why your suggestion would be a bad fit for this
project:  SET is limited to just 64 discrete values per table.

I cannot remember reading that increasing the size of the SET features as
a priority on any development list. I might have missed something but I
don't think that SET>64 will be coming any time soon.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine

sheeri kritzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 11/28/2005 09:53:49 AM:

> On this note, I feel as though the best way to do this in MySQL is to
> use the ENUM or SET types, instead of indexing against a separate
> table  -- I'm guessing SET, so each piece of clipart can be associated
> with more than one category.  Of course, that eliminates relevancy
> searches (which you could do as in the first example given by the OP,
> with a text field and fulltext search).
>
> I think the biggest problem with that is that SET only allows up to 64
> different items, so the clipart site could only have up to 64
> categories (and a Christmas floral arrangement might have the keywords
> "color", "flowers" and "Christmas").
>
> That being said, the point of this post is to ask -- Is MySQL working
> on allowing the SET limit to increase?  Or is that just too much
> storage and math?
>
> -Sheeri
>
> On 11/25/05, Johan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi Robb,
> >
> > Your table setup is correct. In the third table the two ID fields
together
> > form the Primary Key. This makes sure that you cannot add the same
keyword
> > twice to the same image. If you use MySQL Administrator to create your
> > tables then you just add both columns to the primary key index.
> > Programmatically it would look something like (to create the tabloe
and

> > CREATE TABLE "ClipartKeyword" (
> >    "ClipartID" INT(11) NOT NULL,
> >    "KeywordID" INT(11) NOT NULL,
> >    PRIMARY KEY  ("ClipartID","KeywordID"),
> >    INDEX ("KeywordID")
> >    ) TYPE=InnoDB;
> >
> > This database uses ANSI, hence the quotes around the field names. The
> > on KeywordID makes it easy to find all images that have a certain
keyword
> > attached to it.
> >
> > Good luck,
> >
> > Johan