[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Alex Gemmell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 11/30/2005 10:06:09 AM:

Hi,

Unfortunately I need to use a query on an old MySQL (4.0.xx) and the one

I currently have uses a subquery. So it works on my 4.1 but not with this 4.0. I have read in the MySQL manual that I can rewrite subqueries

using joins but I don't see how with this query because I only have one table to check.

Basically all I'm doing is pulling out the most recent 10 activities stored in a table, then reversing the order so it appears oldest first, to newest (note the "$row['Assignment_ID']" is just a PHP variable):

SELECT * FROM
(SELECT * FROM tblactivities
 WHERE Assignment_ID=$row['Assignment_ID']
 ORDER BY Date DESC LIMIT 10) AS tblTemp
ORDER BY Date ASC

This works perfectly on 4.1. How can I rewrite this to get the same effect without using a subquery and so allow it to work on 4.0?

Any help gratefully recieved!

Alex

To make this work on 4.0, you have to do manually something the engine did for you implicitly: create a temporary table.

CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE tmpSubquery SELECT * FROM tblactivites
WHERE Assignment_ID=$row['Assignment_ID']
  ORDER BY Date DESC LIMIT 10;

SELECT * from tmpSubquery ORDER BY Date ASC;

DROP TEMPORARY TABLE tmpSubquery;

There are only two things to remember to make this work. 1) All of these statements must be on the same, continuously connected connection. You cannot close the connection between the statements. 2) If you do not drop the temp table and you try to execute this set of commands on the same continuous connection, you will get an error.
Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine

Thanks Shawn but I couldn't seem to get this to work.

I made the point of checking the MySQL User that PHP connects with. I gave it CREATE and DROP privilages on the database schema in question. It previously only had SELECT privilages.

Here's my PHP code to show you how I tried it:

[PHP]
$query = "CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE tmpSubquery
        SELECT * FROM tblactivities
        WHERE Assignment_ID='".$row['Assignment_ID']."'
        ORDER BY Date DESC LIMIT 10;
        SELECT * FROM tmpSubquery ORDER BY Date ASC;
        DROP TEMPORARY TABLE tmpSubquery;";

$result_activities = mysql_query($query);
[/PHP]

I tried splitting up the queries to see if it helped but it didn't work either:

[PHP]
$query1 = "CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE tmpSubquery
        SELECT * FROM tblactivities
        WHERE Assignment_ID='".$row['Assignment_ID']."'
        ORDER BY Date DESC LIMIT 10;";
mysql_query($query1);

query2 = "SELECT * FROM tmpSubquery ORDER BY Date ASC;";
$result_activities = mysql_query($query2);

query3 = "DROP TEMPORARY TABLE tmpSubquery;";
mysql_query($query3);
[/PHP]

Perhaps I am missing something obvious here? I hope you or anyone else can offer some more help.

Alex