Howdy all,

First off, We're running 5.0.15.

Theres a particular update statement that we run that
updates data in several tables. On our mac OSX test
server (also running 5.0.15) the query executes
quickly and without any errors or warnings.

On our linux box, which is our production box, we get
the following error as soon as the query is executed:

ERROR 2013 (HY000): Lost connection to MySQL server
during query

The databases have a similar amount of data in them.

I've googled on the error but mostly get pages
containing questions about the error when generated by
stored procedures and mostly on 5.0.3. We're not using
stored procedures. This is just a straight-up query.

Here's the query:

UPDATE customer_indicator
INNER JOIN customer_search_pref ON
customer_search_pref.customer_id =
customer_indicator.customer_id AND
customer_search_pref.office_id =
customer_indicator.office_id
LEFT JOIN contact_log ON
contact_log.customer_id =
customer_indicator.customer_id
LEFT JOIN sent ON sent.pref_id =
customer_search_pref.pref_id
SET customer_indicator.office_id = 33,
    customer_search_pref.office_id =33,
    customer_indicator.agent_id = 105,
    sent.office_id = 33,
    contact_log.office_id = 33,
    customer_indicator.next_message_id = 4403
WHERE customer_indicator.customer_id = 78437 AND
      customer_indicator.office_id = 34;

The approximate sizes of the tables involved are:

customer_indicator: 40K records
customer_search_pref: 45K
contact_log: 390K
sent: 20M (million)

So my question is, what are some possible causes of
this error? Why would trying to execute this query
cause the connection to be lost? Why would the query
work fine on our mac system and fail on the prodcution
box?

Thanks,

Tripp