MySQL list,

I'm afraid this explanation is a bit long, but hopefully it's clear and concise.

A while back I reported having troubles copying a database from my hosting service to my home machine.

One of the problems I encountered was that I had some table columns named "group", which is a reserved word in MySQL. I've since corrected that error by renaming every instance of the word "group" with the word "groupid". This also entailed editing my PHP files, which took some time.

However, at this point, the database and associated PHP files were succesfully corrected, and are working fine on my hosting service. So I downloaded all PHP files to my home computer, and exported my database (structure and data), to a .sql file.

   My .sql file imports into my home SQL server without returning errors.

And almost all the PHP pages that seek to get any data from the database return this error: Warning: mysql_data_seek(): Offset 0 is invalid for MySQL result index 11 (or the query data is unbuffered) in /home/dave/web_sites/tokyocomedy.com/site_files/show.php on line 51

Because the pages work flawlessly on my hosting service, I have to assume that there is some flaw in how it's all being copied to my home computer. The PHP files are just copied by FTP, so it's unlikely that they have been altered.

The MySQL data, however, is under suspicion because I have Japanese text, and on my home computer, not all of it is displaying correctly. Some of it comes up as question marks when viewed in FireFox.

When I have the .sql file on my desktop, I can open it in OpenOffice Write, as a text encoded file, and verify that it is encoded in utf-8. Most of the Japanese text shows up readable. Some of it, however, shows up as coded numbers (I'm not sure what the term is when utf displays this way): メーン・

When I import the .sql file into MySQL, I can look at it in phpMyAdmin and see that the text that displayed correctly as Japanese in OpenOffice still displays correctly as Japanese. The text that was in number form is also still in number form when viewed through phpMyAdmin. In short, phpMyAdmin sees it after import the same way that OpenOffice did before import.

But, then when I view a PHP file in FireFox, and it accesses the database that way, the situation changes. The text that is encoded as numbers displays as correct Japanese. The text that displays as actual Japanese text in OpenOffice and phpMyAdmin now displays as quesiton marks.

Again, just to be clear, all Japanese characters and all database data display correctly when viewed from the hosting service. The fact that the Japanese is not displaying correctly and the database error may not be correlated. But I'm hoping that solving one will either alleviate the other, or that solving one will make more clear what the other problem is. One problem at a time, although I don't care which one is solved first.

I'm a bit stumped as to how to diagnose and solve exactly what the problem that causes what should be the same data on both my home machine and the hosting service to behave differently.

   Any advice on how to solve this would be much appreciated.

   Thank you for taking the time to read this.

--
Dave M G