> It doesn't allow to bind to a hostname.  According to
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/server-options.html
>
> you have to specify an IP address, not a hostname.
>
> -Sheeri

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, I am aware of that, as stated in
my question.

Wouldn't it be an improvement if it did, though?  Currently, I
have to use an ugly grep/awk hack to grep the address out of
/etc/hosts.  Are there technical reasons that make it difficult
to write the code such that one could specify an IP or a hostname,
or a list of IPs and/or hostnames?

I'm looking for something similar to PostgreSQL's:

-h hostname
   Specifies the IP host name or address on which the postmaster is
   to  listen  for TCP/IP connections from client applications. The
   value can also be a space-separated list of addresses, or  *  to
   specify  listening  on  all available interfaces. An empty value
   specifies not listening on any IP addresses, in which case  only
   Unix-domain  sockets  can  be used to connect to the postmaster.
   Defaults to listening only on localhost.  Specifying this option
   is  equivalent  to  setting  the  listen_addresses configuration
   parameter.